Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Culture or not culture?

My significant other and I were talking about an Public Radio story about infanticide in Pakistan, and though we got off topic with "discussing" how we discuss, we raised an interesting question. Is infanticide part of a culture? My partner says yes. He says we cannot pick and choose between what is or is not culture because it is "right" or "wrong" in our (meaning my) eyes. I said that I was not willing to say that infanticide is part of culture.

Perhaps a better way than looking for a simple yes or no to this question is to keep questioning. If we can agree that culture is a group's beliefs and values, traditions, language, and then, also the more topical or behavioral aspects of clothing and music, then we can ask how the idea of infanticide fits in. Is it a belief? Is it a practice that stems from belief? From circumstances (which can, I argue, leave the realm of culture)? Is it a mixture of circumstances and belief? Is it also something we can ascribe to individuals? Is it maybe a change in cultural belief and practice? These are, of course, not easily answered, and there are issues of insider and outsider interpretations.

My opinion thus far is that ascribing actions to a culture is risky business because it gives a meaning to the action that may or may not have been intended. Is the action related to culture? Sure, because culture affects people's behaviors. But, is a choice always based on set cultural traditions? Are these ever really set.

Ugh. This does get into a mental masturbation. But, I still hold that ascribing actions solely to culture is dangerous, no matter who does it. I think that many times when we say something is cultural we also ascribe acceptance and a value, and that is not always the case upon further investigation.

No comments: